Study at PT School

How much do you feel you learned in school to come here to how much you went out and found yourself?

 That’s sort of a contentious issue, there is a lot of opinion about that. My first game at school, I think I was pretty dissatisfied with my academic progression in generally, I felt like I didn’t really learn what I thought I was going to learn, I thought PT school was going to give me a clear approach to muscular and skeletal examination to assessment, to diagnosis and then I came out with more questions than I had answered. There wasn’t an emphasis on movement as much as I thought there should have been so I was pretty critical of the academic system and I think I actually added to some of my objections to academia setup.

 I think in the last two years mentoring students, five PT students and I have had lots of undergraduates come through, I think that an undergraduate in a graduate school, they provide some really important qualities and here is an example. If you are out as a professional, you are thirty five years old and you are sitting in a course and you are listening to someone give a talk, how quickly are you going to be susceptible to their dogma or to their approach, how quickly are you going to be able to question or challenge what they are saying, in other words, the more experience you have and the more foundation in science you have, the quicker you are going to be able to say "No, I don’t agree with that, that’s not science based or that’s not evidence based or what I studied in body mechanics in undergrad doesn’t coincide with what that person is saying and I’m not sure I agree with that".